Monday, August 5, 2013

Amsterdam

We started our day with a 3.5 hour train ride to Amsterdam.  Although we traveled second class, I must say that this trip was MUCH easier than our car ride to Normandy.
We arrived in Amsterdam around 2 and immediately got lost, of course.  I am so tired of getting lost in foreign countries I could cry.  As we were dragging our bags and Brooke in the direction we hoped was correct, our host, Vlad, arrived on bike and pointed us in the right direction.  He spotted us in a sea of people and yelled out "Mister Bobby, Welcome to Amsterdam!"  This appears to be a pretty friendly city:)

We arrived at our apartment and climbed the very narrow stairs to the 3rd floor.

This is a true canal home built in the early 1700s.  So amazing!
The canals are beautiful and we are in a great district with cute shops and restaurants.


The thing that strikes me the most about this city is the amount of bike riders.  I knew Amsterdam was a bike friendly city, but I have never seen anything like it.  At dinner, we counted 39 bikes to one car cruising by in front of the restaurant.  We had Italian for dinner---yes, we decided to keep the kids happy.


The evening came to an end when we tried to get a picture of Jacob with a cool Vespa (to send a copy to Jackson) and as soon as he touched it the alarm went off.
I have never seen him run that fast!  Now, we have the kids watching a movie and Bobby and I are off to have a brownie:)!

No comments:

Post a Comment